What is Instagram?
Instagram is a great way to tell your story through photographs and is becoming hugely popular with over 500 million people (14 million in the UK) now taking to the social media platform to share their life in pictures.
Instagram users tend to be mainly women (68%) under the age of 35, although more and more men are signing up, and come from a diverse community with equally diverse interests.
Why use Instagram for my business?
As the platform is growing quickly and offers a unique way of sharing a photographic story then Instagram is great for small businesses and even better if your target audience is women under the 35. It’s also wonderful if your products or services are easy to photograph such as cakes, jewellery or dog walking for example. I love the way you can use hashtags to highlight the topics you’re discussing and you’re not limited to a certain number of words.
I’ve set out some tips below of how to attract more Instagram followers and build the ideal audience for your small business:
- Use great photos and ideally ones that are square in size as this is the layout Instagram prefers and will therefore save you time on cropping
- Include a great intro bio with a link to your website or landing page where you can collect leads
- Support your business network by sharing and tagging your client and supplier posts
- Don’t forget to include hashtags – take a look at what’s trending at the time and if appropriate use these
- Currently you can’t use links within your posts so instead use a Call To Action telling your followers to go to the link in your bio
- Combine the use of video and photos as videos are very easy to upload but try and keep them short
- If you offer a service that doesn’t have tangible products don’t let this put you off. You will always find a photo to link in with what you’re talking about. Uploading photos of your team or what’s happening in the office is great content
- You can get carried away snapping great pictures so be careful not to bombard people with your updates, once a day is enough
- Instagram needs updating from your moblie so to save yourself time scedhule your content in advance
- Finally don’t forget to include a link to your Instagram account across all your other forms of marketing such as Facebook, Twitter, your website and in your email signature and newsletter
Need help setting up your Instagram account or managing it?
If you’re not sure how to set up an account or simply don’t have the time to research and post your content then I offer this service to my clients, so for a free half an hour consultation to find out more drop me an email email@example.com or call 01303 647101
You can also sign up for my free newsletter for great marketing, time and money saving tips straight to your inbox.