What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is an online business networking tool which allows you to connect with others that can help your business or with people that may need your services. It’s a great way to promote your business and educate others about who you are and what you can do for them. On the site you can build relationships with your connections so that learn more about you and trust you, as once you gain trust people are more likely to buy from you. The site now has 433 million members in 200 countries.* Below I give you some tips on how to get the most out of LinkedIn by building a great profile.
LinkedIn’s founders are Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Eric Ly and Jean-Luc Vaillant with the company first starting out in the living room of co-founder Reid Hoffman in 2002. The site officially launched on May 5, 2003 and at the end of the first month in operation, had a total of 4,500 members in the network. It’s Headquarters are now based in Mountain View, California with offices based all over the world.
9 LinkedIn tips for your small business:
- Fill out your profile completely. This will ensure that you get more profile views. It may take a while to get this right but is crucial so that you and your business look professional. This information is a showcase to your brand and is what people will see first before that may get chatting with you.
- Include a professional profile photo, you will be 14 times more likely to be found if you have this in place.
- When it comes to your business description don’t just write ‘business owner’ this means nothing to anyone else. When you post a status, comment or like someone else’s post your name and business details pop up for everyone to see. Use this as opportunity to ‘pitch’ to demonstrate how you can help someone, so my details say ‘Lighthouse Virtual Assistant provides ad-hoc marketing, PR and admin services to businesses, individuals and charities.’
- Connect with lots of people and accept invites for those wishing to connect with you. You may think you should only connect with those you know but people will only learn you’re out there if you tell them, so find lots of new contacts as well as those you know well.
- Recommend others. It’s great to endorse people for skills that you know they have. This helps them out and improves their profile and they may return the favour. You can also recommend people which is a way of writing a testimonial for someone you’ve worked that will show up on their profile.
- Use the publishing tool ‘publish a post’ icon so that you can pop a blog straight into LinkedIn. This will showcase your knowledge and give you authority in your industry as well as increase your profile views.
- Engage with other people’s posts – give your thoughts on their comments, like and share
- Add a video to your profile and this will make it stand out – you’ll see that I have a video testimonial on my profile from one of my lovely clients.
- Don’t forget to get your LinkedIn url so that you can share a link to your profile across your other social media platforms and on your website.
If you would like help with writing your profile or a one-to-one tutorial to show you how to get the best out of LinkedIn then give me a call on 01303 647101 or drop me an email email@example.com
See my full LinkedIn profile here.